Wednesday, December 24, 2008

On the road (well, in the air) again

1330 EST Wednesday, 24 December 2008.

Lorraine and I did the car / train / aircraft thing this morning. We had our timing just right, leaving the house in time to park at the office at 0830, then arriving at Union Station in time for the 0930 MARC train to BWI. Our flight from BWI was delayed somewhat by weather in Chicago, but we left okay at about 1310 EST.

Today was my first experience with MARC. It's okay -- it's like Greyhound on rails: no frills, drab colors, but it gets you from A to B.

BWI is pretty nice these days. I first flew through BWI in the summer of 1977, on my way to pick up USS VOGE (FF 1047) in Naples, Italy. BWI, like Dulles International, was much smaller in those days, and seemed pretty remote to me. Airline traffic is much higher now, especially with Southwest operating from BWI as a hub, and the area around the airport has grown significantly.

Air travel has changed in subtle ways since the days I was on the road about 50% of the time. Flights are more full, airlines charge for everything (luggage? pillows? blankets? snacks?), and security is MUCH tighter.

No comments: