Monday, May 24, 2021

"Hiking light until 9"

 My uncle Don (Wilson) was an avid backpacker. He loved to hike the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California. In June and July 1973, we hiked across Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, summiting Mount Whitney, arriving in Lone Pine on 4 July 1973. It was great to see fireworks below us, as we traveled down the road from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine!

One of the things he taught me, on that long hike, was the notion of "hiking light". Of course I had no idea at the time just how useful the notion of "hiking light" would become. More than a few times I've stretched the notion of "daylight" with regard to endurance motorcycling bonus hunting, learning to rely on photographing objects against a lighted sky to prove I was there in "daylight"!



No comments: