Thursday, September 1, 2005

Listening to MSNBC this evening, I was wondering why I hadn't heard from Rev Al Sharpton. I didn't have to wait long. I was expecting to learn he was heading to New Orleans to lead relief efforts. I was surprised to learn he's going to Houston to attend a conference. A conference? I was heartened to hear him play the "race card" -- it's nice to be able to count on some things in life.

In a disappointing move, our host Keith Olbermann clucked about Dennis Hastert's remark about not rebuilding New Orleans, then ran an extended piece about toxic chemicals potentially making the city uninhabitable for years to come. Condoleeza Rice gets a crack for attending a comedy play after the hurricane (she's the Secretary of State, but State's portfolio hasn't included our states for years), but Rev Al gets a pass for rushing to attend a convention.

Then there's the mellifluous Rita Cosby over at MSNBC. Rita brings her own brand of drama. Based on what I've seen, CNN isn't any better, and Fox (as usual) is worse. There's nothing like a crises to bring out the best in cable news.

No comments: