Saturday, October 9, 2004

Amateur Radio "ticket"

I took and passed the Technician (Element 2) exam today. On a lark, and at the encouragement of the examination crew from the Mount Vernon Amateur Radio Club, I took and passed the General (Element 3) exam. Now, all I need to do is complete the Morse Code exam within the next 365 days, and I'll be able to operate with General privileges.

After all of that excitement, Maureen and I went to Ham Radio Outlet in Woodbridge (the place I bought my Kenwood TH-D7a(G)) to buy a Kenwood TS-2000X (and a whole lot more stuff). I was able to bring the radio and a few other things home; several other parts must be shipped in from other locations. I'll be setting up the "ham shack" over the next few weeks. It will take a few days for the license to be posted at the FCC's web site anyway, so there's no big rush.

No comments: